Thursday, November 13, 2008

Veteran's Day 2008


Back when I was younger, I never understood the importance of Veterans Day. I was just glad to get the day off from school! A Holiday is all I knew, but it means so much more to me now.

My Papa Bennie, served in WWII, recieving 2 purple hearts. He is the statue of our Sims family. My dad also served... 22 years and is US Army Retired. He was shot twice in the Vietnam war, still bearing the scars. Most of his friends are now gone, but he never stops talking about them all.My mom met my dad while she was in the Army, stationed in Germany, where they were married & John was born. My dad was a First Sargeant and mom was a radio control operator.
My brothers, Tony Jr(Chip)(US Army), and John(US Marines, later in the Army Reserve), both served, Chip is still active duty and has served twice in Iraq and also in the Gulf War.
Also, many more of my uncles have served, including my mom's twin brother, Carl Dean. He's not with us this year to celebrate this day, but he's watching over the family every step we take. He was buried on Sept. 11, 2008, the day before their birthday. Although it was a day before their birthday, it was also a day that brought America closer together just a few years ago. So in a way, it was suitable.

On Nov. 4th, 2008, my dad's election day, something happened that made me SO proud of my dad. There was this material that was thrown on a chair that was seated in the County Courthouse. A guy (there to support his friend, running against my dad), picked this material up so he could sit down. Noone knew it was the American Flag. The guy says something like, "What?! They don't know how to fold a flag?!" Dad quickly looked and said, "Who's in charge of the taking down of this flag every evening?!" Some other guy replied that he didn't know, but apologized to dad because he knew how dad felt about it. It was not this guys fault at all, he had nothing to do with it, but he knew the disrespect it showed.Meanwhile, that guy who discovered it was the flag, tried to fold it, but couldn't do it on his own, so dad came up and took over, with that guys help. It was like a light lit up in that guys face, as he stared at my dad with astonishment. The guy who was trying to fold the flag, wore this coat that had all kinds of patches showing he was possibly a veteran himself. It made me proud to see my dad's respect and to be respected back without a word needing to be said at all. I realized this was an occasion I'll possibly never witness again, its not every day dad folds a US Flag.

Another story happened on Sept. 11, 2008 when our family layed my Uncle to rest. The Army was so orderly with their proceedings. After they handed Derick(who also served) his dad's flag...he turned around quickly to my mom and handed it to her. It literally took my breath away! I covered my mouth in awe, and my heart sank into the very ground we were standing on. The highest respect was shown for the love my mother has for her twin brother, that died so tragically. She stood there with her US Army leather jacket on, next to his gravesite, holding her brothers flag. This was a moment above all. It amazed me! How lovely the moment was, to have shared it with the 5 Eagles that circled above us...and the many more that led Uncle Dean home.
Now that I understand this day better than ever before, I hope to tell my daughter how important it is so she knows to pay her respects to everyone who has served.

Happy Veteran's Day!

No comments: