Monday, May 11, 2009

My Grams


Everyone thought it was just old age how easily she forgot
Little things became a heavy burden of a task
Grandma just couldnt remember the things that she once taught
Frustration became the response to questions many people would ask

At ten o'clock on Sundays, as church would begin
Grandma only wanted to be able to attend
When rides became far and few, to her it was a sin
Not only was her church her savior, but everyone was a friend

It became harder on me you see
Running from the stress and unusual behavior of this disease
The hurt I felt when Grandma could no longer recognize me
The most easiest going woman became the hardest to please

Every now and then I think of how she mustve felt
I wonder what she thought and if she were all alone
In a world she no longer knew; in a church she no longer knelt
From the back of a pew, in the back of her mind, was there still a harp like tone

Six months before my Grandma's passing
I never imagined to have to handle such a sight but now he's set free
Uncle was called to Heaven little did we know this wasnt the last thing
To endure so much and lose the man that meant so much to me

Ive learned that life is far shorter than I once thought
These days are taken for granted, in a place so full of panic
Refuge is supposed to be what I've heard only refugees have sought
There is this personal war so widespread, leading many helplessly manic

No comments: